In 1975, the objective of training highly skilled dental surgeons was initiated by the commencement of the programme of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Degree. Clinical training of the first batch of dental students started in 1977 and the programme of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery received full accreditation by the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council in 1978.
Event surrounding the establishment
Dental Surgeons who were employed by the University College Hospital before the inception of the Dental Programme worked in the Department of Surgery. Department of Dentistry was created in 1975 under the acting headship of Dr. J. O.Daramola. The single Dentistry Department was split into four autonomous departments in August 1981. The department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery was established in 1981 from the existing department of Dentistry. Other departments established were the departments of Restorative Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry and Oral Pathology.
It is located at the Department of Surgery University College Hospital, Ibadan
The first Head of Department was Dr. J. O. Daramola. Other members of the Department were Dr. H. A. Ajagbe and Dr B. O. Abiose.
The vision of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is to be a prominent department that provides knowledge and skills in oral and maxillofacial surgical services and research. A department that;
- Fosters and encourages diversity of research, scholarship and interdisciplinary innovation
- Regards excellence in research and teaching as inseparable
- Nurtures talent and encourages personal achievement
- Encourages innovation and enterprise, in particular through partnerships with industry, business and the community
- Teaches its students in innovative and effective ways
- Engages in teaching and research which is internationally recognized and valued.
- Develops life-long relationships with its alumni to the mutual benefit of the department and the individual
Evolution over the years
Dr. J. O. Daramola was appointed Professor in 1983 and Dr. H. A. Ajagbe was appointed a professor in 1986. The programme of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery Degree received full Faculty status in April, 2002.
The department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery teaches Oral Surgery to undergraduate dental students for the award of Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree. It also teaches medical and nursing students leading to the award of their various degrees. In addition it provides professional Postgraduate training leading to the award of Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery by the West African College of Surgeons and the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
The academic staff strength has increased from two (2) at inception to six (6). In addition to academic and research activities, the departments also provide clinical services to the University College Hospital, Ibadan.
The Department also teaches postgraduate students of the MDS (Master in Dental Sciences Programme) which is jointly run by the five departments in Dentistry.
A postgraduate Degree of Masters program in Oral Surgery is being proposed and will commence in the near future.
Major changes in structure, function, site/location, facilities
Present location on the 2nd acquisition of University College Hospital, Ibadan
An office structure (Administrative block) constructed on 30th July, 2004
Recent expansion of Administrative block for ETF Grant 2013
Dr. Arotiba joined the department in 1992; Dr. Fasola joined the department in 1996 and others lectures followed as the department expanded
Dr. Arotiba and Dr. Fasola both became professor with effect from 2006 and 2008 respectively.
Other members of staff include:
Dr. Victoria Nwebuni Okoje-Adesomoju joined as lecturer 1 in 2002, became a Reader in 2015
Dr. Victor Akinmoladun joined the staff as lecturer 1 in 2004, became a Reader in 2014
Dr. Adeola A. Olusanya as lecturer 1 1st September, 2010, became a Senior lecturer in 2015
Dr.Gbolahan as lecturer 1 on 4th October, 2010 became a senior lecturer in 2013
Dr. Timothy Aladelusi joined staff as lecturer 1 on 24th December, 2012, became a senior lecturer in 2018
Major challenges and interventions
- Inadequate offices for lecturers–construction of Administrative block.A recent additional administrative block with offices, laboratory and large lecture hall.
- Some members of staff have received the following grants:
- Mac Arthur Grants, Senate Research Grants.
- Inadequate staff development programmes: Poor funding of training to subsidize procedures for training
- Inadequate training materials for students: Need for a well-equipped skills laboratory, more regular supply of consumables for student training and equipment for training
- No library for students at the Dental school
- No ICT centre for students use.
Awards/distinctions, publications and linkages
- J.T. Arotiba was elected as the President of the National Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons at the 5th Biennial Scientific Conference and Annual General Meeting of the Association held from 3th -5th October, 2012 at the University College Hospital.
- A.O. Fasola was elected as the Editor-in-Chief of the National Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons at the 5th Biennial Scientific Conference and Annual General Meeting of the Association held from 3th -5th October, 2012 at the University College Hospital.
- Inaugural Lecture was delivered by Prof. A.O. Fasola on Thursday 13th June, 2013. The title of his lecture is “The Tripod of Maxillofacial trauma: The Injury, the Injured and the Injury Career”
- V.I. Akinmoladun was also elected as the General Secretary of the National Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons at the 5th Biennial Scientific Conference and Annual General Meeting of the Association held from 3th -5th October, 2012 at the University College Hospital.
- Arotiba was elected Treasurer of the Pan African Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons at a meeting held in Cape Town South Africa between 10th & 11th Oct. 2012.
- Victoria N. Okoje-Adesomoju got the Administrative Excellence Award in UCH- Nov 2011 and was appointed Deputy CMAC dentistry.
- V. I. Akinmoladun won the Senate Grant Award.
- Okoje-Adesomoju was sub- Dean (PG) 2010 -2012
- V. I. Akinmoladun was appointed Sub-Dean (PG) in Dentistry.2012-2013
- Dr. V. I. Akinmoladun was appointed DCMAC (Clinical Services) in May, 2016
- Dr. V. I. Akinmoladun was also appointed Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee and Director of Clinical Services, Research and Training of the University College Hospital, Ibadan (CMAC) in November, 2016 till date.
- Dr. V. I. Akinmoladun was appointed as member of the Board of management U.C.H. in 2016 till date.
- Dr. V. I. Akinmoladun was appointed a member of the College Development Committee in 2018 till date.
- Dr. O. O. Gbolahan was selected for the 2018 AOCMF fellowship with Dr. Sat Pamar and Dr. Prav Praveen, University Hospital Birmingham, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,
Birmingham, United Kingdom.
- Dr. Aladelusi was awarded the IAOMS Foundation Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial
Oncology and reconstruction of the Ninth People’s Hospital Shangahai, PR China, between May, 2017 and May, 2018.