WHO IS A CARER?
A person whom is responsible for supporting an individual through the provision of some forms of care, be it physical, emotional or financial, in most cases this person is usually a partner, relative or friend. Older persons are vulnerable due to their various disabilities, hence they need support and assistance of others, such as Individual, Government, Corporate bodies and Non-governmental organization (NGOs).
Older persons live in their private homes, institutions and care sector. It is imperative that, those who care for older persons should be well trained and equipped with knowledge and technical know-how as well as with the basic guideline and principles governing care.
To train the home carers of the older persons the fundamentals of the care of the older persons.
- There is increasing population of older persons.
- Different approaches and management have been recognized.
- There is decrease in physical ability and economic inadequacies.
- Increase vulnerability to diseases.
- Care homes are springing up therefore, there is the need for people to be trained to know what principles and guidelines of good care practice.
- The training is necessary to prevent abuse of the older persons.
This is a two-week course in basic training of home carer of the older persons. It focuses on principles, guidelines and approaches in the care of the older persons. It is designed to improve on the way of handling the older persons in their care and environment, for good practice and to their best interest.
The expectation is to improve the care of older persons in our society.
The training will be done through lecture series (Didatic) and practical sessions.