HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The department of Child Oral Health was established from the department of Preventive Dentistry in the year 2005. The University College Hospital acknowledged the Departments status in the year 2007.
The department is made up of 2 units – Paediatric dentistry and Orthodontics. The department of Child Oral Health has five (5) Consultants, three (3) Consultants in Paediatric Dentistry unit and two (2) Consultants in Orthodontics unit. There are presently nine Senior Registrar and one Registrar. The department of Child Oral Health has a Secretary and two clerical staffs from University College Hospital. In Child Oral Health clinics there are four (4) Dental Surgery Technicians.
COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF HOD’S TILL DATE
The first acting Head of Department was Dr. Obafunke O. Denloye who served from August 2005 – February 2008. Subsequently, the headship of the department has being on a rotational basis as follows;
- Olubunmi O Bankole March 2008 – Feb. 2010
- Abigail T. Adeyemi March 2010 – July 2011
- Obafunke O. Denloye August 2011 – July 2013
- Olubunmi O. Bankole August 2013 – July 2015
- Obafunke O. Denloye July 2015 – July 2016 – Till Date
The department of Child Oral Health has since inception trained six (6) Consultants and at present is training nine (9) Resident Doctors.
Academic members of staff have hosted 3 National Conferences which were highly successful. The conferences hosts were Nigerian Association of Orthodontics (NAO) and Nigerian Association of Paediatric Dentistry (NAPD).
The Orthodontic Unit of the department which was grossly underfunded at inception is now one of the leading centres for Orthodontic management in the country and also one of the highest fund generating units in the hospital.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT (PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY)
- Deals with children from birth through adolescence and children with special health care needs.
- Provide oral health education to children and their parents.
- Diagnosis of oral diseases in children
- Treatment of oral diseases which include infection control, restorative treatment, dental trauma management and pulp therapy.
- Behavioural management of children.
- Management of child abuse.
- Organising bi-annual children’s Programme to enlighten school children about proper oral hygiene behavior and dietary counseling with free dental check-ups.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT (ORTHODONTIC CLINIC)
- Making diagnosis of malocclusion
- Carrying out preventive interceptive and corrective treatment for malocclusion with appliances.
- Training of Resident Doctors to become specialists in orthodontics.
- Carrying out corrective treatment for malocclusion with
- Removable orthodontic appliances
- Fixed orthodontic appliances
- Functional appliances
CORE ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT (PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY)
- Monday Clerking/Treatment clinic
- Tuesday Theatre Day
- Wednesday Clerking/ Treatment clinic
- Thursday Clerking/Treatment clinic
- Friday Treatment clinic and Seminar day
CORE ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT (ORTHODONTIC CLINIC)
- Monday Treatment clinic
- Tuesday Clerking /New patients
- Wednesday Clerking/New patients
- Thursday Treatment clinic
- Friday Treatment clinic/Seminar & tutorials for residents in training
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
To be a world class department for academic excellence and ethical clinical practice geared towards societal needs of children and patients requiring orthodontic management.
- To expand the frontiers of knowledge through provision of excellent conditions for learning and research
- To promote sound clinical practice and inculcate ethical behavior among practitioners of Paediatric dentistry and Orthodontics.
- To contribute to the transformation of society through creativity and innovation
- To serve as a dynamic custodian of society’s salutary values and thus sustain its integrity
Our goals are:
- Teaching and Learning: To sustain an environment conducive for highest standard teaching and learning that promotes development of excellence and innovation.
- Research: To conduct quality researches in the field of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry.
- Services: To promote prompt and excellent service delivery to children and adolescents in our community.