The Department of Psychiatry, University of Ibadan started in the mid 50’s when an associate lecturer was appointed within the Department of Medicine to provide outpatient services. By 1963, the 1st chair of Psychiatry was created and in patient services was included with 9 beds in the South West block of the University College Hospital.
At present, the in-patient facilities are in the Neurosciences block where a total of 64 beds in two wards are operated as a male and female ward, there are also outpatient clinics run in the Medical outpatient department and a 24-hour emergency service.
The Department of Psychiatry provides Psychiatric training to undergraduate medical student as well as allied medical professions. The training programme is geared towards the acquisition of theoretical and clinical knowledge for practice, teaching and research in Psychiatry.
- Prof Olusegun. Baiyewu (Head of Department)
- Prof. Oye Gureje
- Prof. Olayinka Omigbodun
- Dr. Victor Lasebikan
- Dr. Bibi Oladeji
- Dr. Victor. Makanjuola
- Dr. Tolulope Bella-Awusah
- Dr. Oluyomi Esan
- Dr. Jibril Abdulmalik
- Dr Akin Ojagbemi
- Prof. Michael Olatawura - Emeritus Professor.
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Old Age Psychiatry
- Child and adolescent Psychiatry
- Drug and Alcohol abuse.
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Rehabilitation psychiatry
- Community Psychiatry
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
Clinical services are available in the following subspecialties in the department:
- General Adult Psychiatry - Prof. Gureje & Dr. Oladeji
Ward round Tuesday 10am
Clinic Friday 1pm at MOP
- Old Age Psychiatry - Prof. Baiyewu. & Dr Ojagbemi
Ward round Thursday 10am
Clinic Thursday 10am
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry – Professor . Omigbodun/Dr. Bella-Awusah
Ward roundMonday 10 am
Clinic Thursday 9 am
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse - Dr. Makanjuola.
Ward roundFriday 10.00am
Clinic Monday 2pm
- Neuropsychiatry - Dr. Esan
Ward roundWednesday 10 am
- Forensic Psychiatry services – Dr. Abdulmalik
Clinic at Agodi prisonTuesday 9am
- Rehabilitation services - Dr. Oladeji
- Community Psychiatry services - Dr. Makanjuola
Clinic atfour primary health centres in Ibadan North LGTuesday 9.00am
- Consultation Liaison services - Dr. Lasebikan
Ward Rounds: Fridays
10 Emergency Psychiatry services-All Consultants
11 Other services by allied professionals
- Social welfare services
- Occupational therapy services
- Clinical psychology